Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Jasimine Pearl

So I wanted to try something new and was thinking savory cookie. I've recently enjoyed the most awesome pot of Dragon Pearl Jasmine Tea at one of my favorite local Chinese restaurants, Ying's Tea House and Yum Yum, in Clintonville. Ever since I've been crazy about the stuff. While drinking my Jasmine Pearl tea at home I thought how nice it would be to incorporate that flavor into a cookie... so I gave it a try.




















I started by infusing some butter with the tea. 

It took a while for the leaves to unfold but after around five to ten minutes on low heat the they began to loosen up and the aroma was just amazing! I needed to find a recipe to try out my new butter. I found some savory recipes that looked interesting but I wanted something really buttery. So I ended up with something more along the lines of a shortbread recipe



After chilling the dough I rolled it into ropes and then cut the ropes into one inch logs. I rolled the logs  in poppy seeds and black sesame seeds before I popped them into the oven at 325 for about ten minutes. 

Here they are! 


 The Jasmine flavor turned out great! It was a bit subtle at first. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, as I took my first bite, but I felt surprised that I wasn't able to detect the Jasmine right away. As I finished the cookie, however, the flavor began to emerge and it was very nice. Definitely there without being too strong or too subtle. I'll be trying this one out on family and friends.