Thursday, June 23, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Cookie


Last week I ventured out to Old Hillard to check out the Hillard Farmer Market located downtown at the corner of Main and Center Streets. Old Hillard has a great small-town feel and a great market! If your around old Hillard you can catch them every Tuesday in June, July and August from 4-7:00. I bumped into some friends there-- the Hirsch Fruit Farm folks, Oink Moo Cluck, Blue Jacket Dairy, and Rhoads Farms. These are friends who can also be found, along with me, every Wednesday May and Sept, 4:30-6:30 and June, July, and August, 3:30-6:30 at the Dublin Farmer's Market in Historic Dublin.

I got some awesome fruits and veggies while there -- strawberries, raspberries, sugar snap peas, and beets. It all looked so beautiful and fresh...I should have taken a picture. The strawberries were especially beautiful and I felt inspired to incorporate them into a cookie. Here is the recipe I tried for Strawberry Shortcake Cookies. I did add a little more strawberries and cream than what the recipe called for.

One heaping cup of strawberries...

Organic Pure Cane Sugar and lemon juice...

 Local amish butter cut into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter.
Local organic whole wheat flour, organic unbleached flour, aluminum-free baking powder, sea salt.


 Add cream...                                                                
 

then add the strawberries and drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment. 


Sprinkle with sugar and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes.


 Eat!!! Mmmmmm...


With the left over cream I decided to make some whip cream to top them.


Organic cream and sugar... pure bourbon vanilla...  and a bit of the juice that was left at the bottom of the bowl of strawberry, sugar and lemon mixture...Whip it.
I love to try new recipes! If you've got one you'd like me to try just email me. 
I'd love to hear from you!      heatherlylys@gmail.com